Monday, March 21, 2016

14-Year Cycles - Part 8 - A parable by Denver Snuffer

(Chapter 1 from the book "Ten Parables" by Denver Snuffer, copyrighted and used here with permission from the author.  Quoting this parable does not imply that the author agrees with my ideas nor does it mean the parable symbolizes what I think it might)

A BUSY YOUNG MAN

A busy young man was on his way when he encountered a man sitting under a tree on the side of the road. The man asked the young man to come and help him. There was something compelling in the man’s demeanor, and the young man paused from his haste to help him. That day they sat under the tree and braided rope. At the end of the day the man asked the young man to return again the next day and help. The young man agreed. They sat together again the next day and braided rope. At the end of the second day the young man agreed to return. When the third day ended the young man’s hands were sore and blistered. He inquired how long the man intended to continue braiding rope. The man replied, “Until we have enough to make the net.”

The young man returned day after day for many years helping the man until finally the man said, “It is enough. Now we will tie the net.” Preparing the rope had taken nearly seven years, and tying the net took seven more for the complexity of the work. These two labored together day by day. At length the man said, “We may now have enough.” He fixed his eyes on the young man and asked, “Do you know who I am?” The young man replied, “I did not at first. It took a long time for me to see the wounds in your hands for the callouses caused by the labor of braiding and tying. But I have known for some time now who you are by your hands.” The Master replied, “Do you wish anything from me?” The young man replied, “No, not now. There was a time when I would have asked for more, but now I am content.” After a pause he added, “Master there was a time when, in the last months of braiding the rope, I believe my rope was perfect. And in the last year of tying the net I believe our net was perfect.” “Then,” said the Master, “the net has caught its fill and I must go to labor elsewhere.” The young man understood and after coming to know the Master thereafter followed His ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment